My Sewing Mayhem


    This all started with a class our grade is taking called Endurance. We were taught about the complexities and real struggles of the Jewish people during the holocaust and how much it changes a person to go through such manipulation and control of their daily life. It taught me a lot about the human mind and how our will persists through all hardship that is thrown our way. 

What we were assigned to do for this project was to have a goal in mind that we would try our best to achieve over a span of 24 hours. The 24 hours would not be consecutive but spread over a number of weeks whenever we could carve some time out to move forward with the project. Trying to master a medium of art I had never truly gotten the hang of I thought would be fun so I decided to sew. Not only sew but also create plushes that I would make for my classmates as graduation gifts for the end of the year that is approaching. My goal was to create something that I thought would fit well with every single person, making each unique and one-of-a-kind.


First was to record our hours and to do this we completed a vlog journal to keep track of any progress that we were making. Below is my vlog journal and any personal reflections I had on the tasks I accomplished over the number of time slots.


All Thirteen 24-Hour Reflections| DN | 2023

A journal was not all we would be called on to do to show real growth through this project though. To solidly show our entire process in detail we would all be making videos a span of 8-10 minutes long explaining and reflecting on this experience and what it was like. I compiled all of the total time lapses I took while working while also adding commentary for the instances where I couldn´t film. Below is my finished 24-hour project, showing all work, and conclusions on what I made of my goal.

         
24 Hour Video | DN | 2023


As I look back on what I learned from this experience, I think art through stitching is something worth pursuing in my future art career and something I will definitely incorporate into projects moving forward. I achieved my goal and even did it one better which I was happy for but I still feel like I could have done way more and completed all plushes if I really tried. I don't think it would've taken 24 hours but I do think that I could have completed them all in the time given.
What I am really proud of was my video editing and how much I was able to do within such a short time limit, adding audio both vocal and musical with software that cant always be depended on for large-scale projects.

Comments

Popular Posts