How We Ended Up Dragging Drag

    

    Our last unit of Equality was a stressful one for sure. A number of heavy topics were discussed and deep-dived into some of the darkest themes of this country connected to race, gender, and class inequalities. We talked to a Chicago police torture survivor who went on to find his own foundation dedicated to creating a safe space for other people who have experienced the same thing and giving them resources to better live. Along with that, we held our own class debate on the importance of slavery reparations and how we need to move forward not just look at financial support for those that need it.

In this radio broadcast I have for you now, I bring you into the year 2123. Anti-gay legislation has stretched far beyond the southern states and has moved all the way to Washington D.C. The gay and trans community have been forced to shield themselves inside their homes for fear of arrest and as a result, hatch an escape plan to space as a last-ditch effort to live safe lives again. As a topic, I chose to report on the recent anti-drag ban passed in Tennessee and how I see a possible future turning out to not be so bright.


Dex Nichols · Dragging Drag Broadcast
Anti-Drag Broadcast | DN | 2023


I completed this project feeling incredibly proud of what I was able to accomplish. I thought my story was compelling and while I don´t think something like this could happen one hundred years from now it could certainly happen sometime in the future. I hope you enjoyed a look into the future I created and hope that in the future I will have more opportunities to express my creativity through audio. The inspiration for this broadcast came from a show that I love that happens hundreds of years in the future with the human race exploring the galaxy after destroying almost all of earth's natural resources. With this I wanted to send the message that the gay community is struggling daily and now with bans being proposed across the states we have to start standing up to our officials.


Sources:

    Restrepo, Manuela López. “The Anti-Drag Bills Sweeping the U.S. Are Straight from History's Playbook.” NPR, NPR, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.npr.org/2023/03/06/1161452175/anti-drag-show-bill-tennessee-trans-rights-minor-care-anti-lgbtq-laws.

     ABC News, ABC News Network, https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/rupaul-speaks-drag-show-ban-tennessee-classic-distraction/story?id=97744344.

Comments

Popular Posts